Friday, January 3, 2014

First Snowstorm of 2014

There will be some people riding those bikes today


What good is a snowstorm if you can't stand in the middle of the street to take pictures!

New Yorkers love their umbrellas

High Line


A snowy day in the neighborhood! At about 7:30am, I took a short walk around looking for photo ops but I was not early enough to see much undisturbed snow. It was definitely cold enough for me and occasionally wind gusts froze my forehead.

I expected that the High Line would be closed but I checked it out just in case because it usually makes a good photo vantage point. I was offered the opportunity to help shovel snow in the park just as I was reading their sign asking for volunteers. I appreciated that they took one look at me and actually thought I was capable of doing that!

I grew up in a snowy climate. This six inches or so of snow would be a minor event. It's crazy to see how nuts people are about snow in the city. I do agree that an urban setting has additional problems. The snowplow crews work constantly. They have GPS and you can check online to see when your street will be plowed.  Space is a premium here and there is nowhere to put all that snow!

Morning Temperature: 10 degrees (feels like -5)
Morning Steps: 2587

No comments:

Post a Comment