Friday, January 10, 2014

Ice




My Michigan friend, ML, sent me photos of the ice boulders that form in Lake Michigan when the water temperature hovers around freezing. No boulders in the Hudson but I did see these ice floes which the seagulls like to use to hitch a ride...or take a rest.  Just thinking about standing on an ice floe makes my feet cold.

I'm still taking those weekday morning walks (#180) around my neighborhood but the really cold temperatures make it difficult to stay out long. This morning at 31 degrees it was more comfortable. There was no precipitation for the first half block I walked but then tiny snowflakes started to fall. Over the next hour those snowflakes became icy---maybe rainy---and then big fluffy snowflakes. As the temperatures rise today it will change to rain and there are flood warnings posted already.

I had been staying away from the river because I figured it would feel even colder there but now I think I've missed some good winter scenes.

Morning temperature: 31 degrees
Morning steps: 8391

No comments:

Post a Comment