Friday, May 9, 2014

Rhubarb Season




It was foggy and damp this morning but no rain. I brought a trash bag with me so I could sit on the damp park bench to read my email...then I was asked to move because the groundskeepers were using leaf blowers to move debris out of the foliage. The park was not a quiet place this morning.

But I had my first sighting of rhubarb at the GreenMarket. I am always happy to see it. I'm not entirely sure why...since I will probably use it once this season as is usual for me. The price ranged from $3.50 to $6 per pound.

My first encounter with rhubarb was in the backyard of a childhood home. It grew there wild or maybe it returned every year from some previous planting. I was encouraged to try a bite from a freshly plucked stalk. (Did my dad talk me into that???) Boy, was that a nasty tart surprise! I don't remember trying it again for many years.

The best rhubarb recipe I ever made I discovered on the Smitten Kitchen blog. It was Rhubarb Snacking Cake and is well worth a try. Still I'm always looking for the next rhubarb recipe. What will it be this year?

Morning temperature: 56 degrees
Morning steps: 5613

No comments:

Post a Comment