Saturday, May 31, 2014

Manhattanhenge

That's a tiny sun way in the distance

The clouds were not my friends

The brave photographers took the streets. It didn't occur to me to take the shot of the photographers till I was finished looking for the sun so the crowd had diminished substantially.


Manhattanhenge happens four days this year. It occurs when the sunset perfectly aligns with the east west street grid in Manhattan. The design of the Manhattan street grid is unlikely to have anything to do with astrology as it seems Stonehenge did...but who knows what future generations will think!

The weather was not in a cooperative mood this year. On Thursday the cloud cover was so thick there wasn't even a hint of a sunset glow to be seen. Friday gave me a couple chances but I should have thought more about the best streets for photo ops.

Hoping for better luck next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment