Thursday, March 6, 2014

That Girl




Last night I had a music adventure. I was a guest at the Jennifer Nettles That Girl Tour concert. I enjoyed the music though Brandy Clark, the opening act, was a little too twangy for my taste. She has written songs recorded by several country music performers and is now singing them herself.

Here's what I learned from her...men are no good. They'll hurt a woman both physically and emotionally. But then apparently you are supposed to get right back up on that man horse and ride it again...or, at least, another one! After listening to 30 minutes of her songs, I'm not sure why she'd ever have another relationship with a man...except to get lyrics for her next song, I guess!

Jennifer's songs are a little more R&B. She has performed in stadiums with her band, Sugarland, so the 1929 Beacon Theatre seating 2894 must have seemed intimate to her...though the That Girl Tour is performing in a lot of smaller venues. I enjoyed her performance. The sound system from my seat was pretty good for her songs but muddy for her speech.

There were also 2 songs from Marc Cohn, a surprise guest. Jennifer joined Marc on his song, Walking in Memphis. Based on audience participation and appreciation...that could have been the favorite number of the evening.

Although the audience had many "seasoned" members...I felt old! It's been a long time since I've been to a concert. I was not used to the constant movement of people as they went out to get more drinks. The miracle of the night may have been that no one fell regardless of the fact that they were weaving up and down stairs - in the dark - while balancing at least 2 drinks each time.

Worse than that...people chatted constantly throughout the performances. And the last straw?...singing along! The women behind me were obviously huge Jennifer Nettles fans because they knew every word of her songs even from her new That Girl cd. They sang those lyrics at the top of their lungs! Only mildly annoying at first, the more they drank the harder it was for them to hit the notes. Why do you spend $45 to sing along with someone performing way down on the stage? They couldn't have heard a word she sang.

The in person music event allows you to feel the energy as well as see the performer live but if you just want to hear the music...buy it!

Still all in all...a nice night out!

Morning temperature: 16 degrees (felt like 1)
Morning steps: 4162

No comments:

Post a Comment