Thursday, September 26, 2013

Morning Walk #104 - High Line

Still some color on the High Line


59 degrees & 77% humidity

2013 has seen the most visits I've made to the High Line. I live close and always enjoy the visits yet sometimes I don't think to go there. It's often crowded in the summer with locals and tourists. It is not an exaggeration to say that on some walks I have not heard a word of English spoken.

My last few visits have been perfect...cooler weather and less people  The vegetation has grown in and it doesn't look newly planted any more even though the landscaping crew is always working, trimming, planting.

I wonder if people who are not big city dwellers really appreciate the miracle that is the High Line.

I once visited a building that looked out over the elevated railway...before it was the High Line.  Even then the natural weeds and grasses growing there made it look inviting. I asked about access but was told it was not possible.

The area next to the High Line is now desirable real estate and there is much new building some of which takes away some of the charm and also blocks some of the views of the river on one side and the city on the other.

In the morning there are runners and people walking to work and school. One guy walked the length while reading a newspaper. Others brought coffee and took a break to drink it. And there are always photographers...the amateurs and the professional.

Steps: 7871

No comments:

Post a Comment