Thursday, April 10, 2014

National Card & Letter Writing Month

This is my local post office,  the Old Chelsea Post Office. It opened in 1933 when FDR was president and James A Farley was postmaster. Now James A Farley is the name of my all time favorite post office in NYC across from Penn Station.

I love mail. I love receiving mail and sending mail. Naturally I'm talking about fun mail. I'm not so appreciative of bills and junk - though the occasional clever piece of advertising will often give me seconds of fun.

Here it is the 10th day of April and I have not been doing much to celebrate National Card & Letter Writing Month. The celebration is to promote literacy (and perhaps sell some postage stamps.)

I have gone through several letter writing phases in my life and I know the pleasure of writing with a good fountain pen. I survived an addiction to the Current catalog which caused me to buy all kinds of stationery especially note cards that folded in a way to become their own envelopes.

I just googled National Card & Letter Writing Month and was led to a Pinterest site where the person managed to misspell stationery over and over again. This spelling was one I learned a trick for long ago and never misspell. A "stationer" (now an old fashioned term) refers to a person or store that sells stationery. Stationary means standing still...not moving. Picture that Stationer with an "e" and you'll always spell stationery correctly.

I admit to doing a lot less letter writing and a lot more card making. I also write fewer handwritten letters. The first thing I liked about using a computer was the ease of correcting mistakes while typing a document. I always hated making a mistake in a handwritten letter. In order to avoid crossing out mistakes I often would extend the sentence saying something like "oops, I didn't mean to write that - what I meant was ...."

So why not buy a card or make a card and send it. Write a letter or write a postcard. April is as good a time as any.

Morning temperature: 43 degrees
Morning steps: 7081

No comments:

Post a Comment